Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Sarkozy weighs into Saddam debate

Interior Minister and UMP presidential candidate Nicolas Sarkozy has weighed into the debate over the execution of former Iraqi President Saddam Hussein this past weekend, calling it "a fault".

"I would have liked to greet in the lawsuit of Saddam Hussein an outstanding stage of the democratization of Iraq. (...) the judgment with the capital punishment and the execution of condemned prevent me. I am opposed to the death penalty. It is for me a question of principle. I wish the stabilization of Iraq ardently. But, for me, the in-depth stabilization of this area passes by the promotion of the democratic values (...) And I regard as an essential stage of the process of democratization of Iraq the abolition of the death penalty.

I wish the stabilization of Iraq ardently. But, for me, the in-depth stabilization of this area passes by the promotion of the democratic values (...) And I regard as an essential stage of the process of democratization of Iraq the abolition of the death penalty. It is difficult to reconcile the various components of people to leaving a dictatorship. But this task appears all the more difficult to me when the light is not made on the past. The execution of the Saddam Hussein, worst of the men, is a fault.

These comments come on the first day of the UMP primary, in which Sarkozy, being the only candate, will surely win.

Technorati tags: , , , , , , , ,

No comments: