Monday, March 12, 2007

Villepin supports Sarkozy


While Nicolas Sarkozy did not receive the backing of the French President yesterday, he won the consolation prize today. French Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin, himself once a possible presidential contender, has announced on Europe 1 that he will back Sarkozy in the upcoming election.

"I was with Nicolas Sarkozy in this government. I am today with Nicolas Sarkozy to defend the ideals of our political family and so that the choice of the French is the most enlightened possible. I will be at his sides, because it is the political ideal of my family, it is my engagement. We were together with the government. We will be together in this battle."

Sarkozy was quite gracious and thankful, saying that:

I lengthily saw Dominique de Villepin yesterday. He led the two victorious campaigns of Jacques Chirac in 1995 and in 2002. He has great experience, it is for me something of important. I am very sensitive to what he said."


Technorati tags: , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: