Thursday, April 5, 2007

Full house, Chirac family backs Sarkozy


Nicolas Sarkozy got the lukewarm support of President Jacques Chirac weeks ago, but it wasn't until today in front of a 10,000 strong crowd in Lyon that he received first lady Bernadette Chirac's gracious support.

"If I'm here, it's obviously because I support him. I think Nicolas Sarkozy is the best to address the challenges of the France of tomorrow, to carry the hopes of the France of tomorrow. So I'm doing all I can to help him win."

Sarkozy returned the favor, and did not attempt to simply brush stroke his contentious history with the family.

"I want to tell Bernadette Chirac that for us two, this is a form of achievement. We've had moments. I never lost your confidence. We have always talked to each other. And if today, our family is reunited, that's because at moments when the going was rough, you have managed to bridge the gap. This unity of the family, I want to dedicate it to you tonight."

Yet not all was rosy for Sarkozy today. A meeting in a blue-collar area of Lyon was cancelled, presumably because anti-Sarkozy protesters were demonstrating in the area.

Technorati tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: