Sunday, April 15, 2007

Le Pen regrets facts


In an interview today, National Front candidate Jean-Marie Le Pen said that he regrets that current President Jacques Chirac publicly noted French responsibility for the deportation of Jews during the Second World War.

"The president plays a part in the way in which one presents the national memory. Thus Jacques Chirac had recognized the responsibility for the French State in the deportation of the Jews...I regret it. He was the only president to do it. Even François Mitterrand had not done it."

He was then asked about the teaching of the Holocaust, to which he replied:

"It is a subject which I will not tackle. When I expressed myself in terms however moderate, it cost me 150 million old francs (as a fine). These debates are not in the domain of freedom of expression. I take care well not to touch there. One cannot express another opinion except that dictated by the conformity of thought."


Technorati tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: